In accordance with the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988, the Dental Board of Australia’s Code of Conduct for Registered Health Practitioners, the Office of the Privacy Commissioner National Privacy Principles September 2001, and the Victorian Health Records Act 2001, all patients can expect that their personal health and other information will be collected, used, disclosed and stored in accordance with relevant laws about privacy, and that this information will remain confidential unless the law allows disclosure or the patient directs us to release the information.
- The information collected will be used to provide treatment to you. Personal information such as your name, address and health insurance details will be used to address accounts and correspondence to you and process your payments.
- We may disclose your health information to other health care professionals, or request it from them where necessary for your treatment. Disclosure of your personal details will be minimised wherever possible.
- We may use parts of your health information for research purposes, in study groups or at seminars as this may provide benefit to other patients. Your personal identity will not be disclosed without your consent to do so.
- Your medical history, treatment records, x-rays and any other material relevant to your treatment will be kept on our premises. You may inspect or request copies of your records or your treatment at any time or seek an explanation from the dentist. Requests for records must be received in writing. Statutory fees will apply in relation to the types of access you seek. If you request an explanation of your records, a written summary or copies of radiographs, our usual fees apply to these services.
- If any of the information we have about you is inaccurate, you may ask us to alter our records accordingly.
The supply of the information by you is voluntary, except where required under law. However, should you not supply the information, or supply only part, it may compromise your future care or treatment.
You can be assured that the privacy and confidentially of the health information held about you will be respected. Please feel free to request a copy of this information from our Administration staff or to discuss our Policy in further detail.